Thursday, June 20, 2013

It's That Time Again in LA: Let the Music Flow...






It’s that time again in LA—summer—and there’s so much good music for free that it almost makes the smog and traffic jams and lack of parking space worth it (BTW there’s a solution to the aforementioned problems: sell your car and ride public trans).  When I first arrived in LA five years ago from the Golden Triangle outback I went almost ape-shit crazy gorging on sights and sounds, as if you could just fill your belly like a big ol’ bear, then snooze it off for a season or two.  So that’s what I did.  But I think maybe it’s time to get back in the swing, especially since this may well be my last summer in LA, therefore time to fill up the esthetic tank. 

Here’s the best deals I can find, ALL FREE, highlights (in chronological order) looking like:

www.levittpavilionpasadena.org: Carmen Souza (tonight 6/20), Alex Cuba (6/22), Vieux Farka Toure’ (7/12), Dirty Dozen Brass Band (7/14), Bachaco (7/25), Jeffrey Broussard (8/1), Mia Doi Todd (8/21), Chicano Batman (8/10), LoCura (8/23), and Quetzal (8/24)… hijole… plus many more…

www.levittla.org (MacArthur Park): Orquesta Charangoa (6/30), Karla Bonoff (7/30), Dave Navarro (7/13), Yemen Blues (7/14),  Kobo Town (7/28), Garifuna Collective (8/8), David Lindley (8/18), Rocky Dawuni (8/24)

www.jazzandblues.org (Hollywood/Highland): Jose Rizo’s Mongorama (7/2), Brian Auger’s Oblivion Express (7/16), Poncho Sanchez (7/30), The Meters Experience (8/6)

www.grandperformances.org (Water Court, Downtown): Univ. of Gnawa, Ethio/Cali (7/26), Ozomatli (8/2), Novalima/Palenke Soultribe (8/3)

www.lacma.org (Latin Sounds): Luis Conte (7/13), Chuchito Valdez (8/10), Dori Caymmi (8/17), Justo Almario (8/24)

http://santamonicapier.org: Meshell Ndegeocello (7/18), Xavier Rudd (8/1), Hanni el Khatib (8/8), Nick Waterhouse/Boogaloo Assassins (8/22), Jimmy Cliff (9/12)

AND THIS IS NOT THE HALF OF IT.  These are simply the ones that I’m at least somewhat familiar with and considering in advance, ones that reflect my own predilection for world and indie music, and/or haven’t seen already (more than a few).  I’ll consider others as I actually listen to them for the first time.  Diviertese.

So I’m looking at ways to revive this blog, which has been largely dormant for a while, so as part of my policy of working my ass off to get a leg up or die trying, I’m thinking of curating music videos for inclusion here, specifically those with some visual artistry, in addition to their audio value, maybe even put up some other short videos in the three-to-five-minute genre with or without songs to justify their existence. After all MTV went to commercial crap long ago.  Isn’t it time somebody did this?  Of course, I could still maybe devote some time and space for indie music updates.  Whad’ya think?

No comments:

search world music

Custom Search